Let's GO Fishing in Kona Hawaii aboard the Anxious

If you have questions about chartering the ANXIOUS or Kona fishing in general, click on the CONTACT button to email us. We will get back to you as soon as we get in from fishing.



Conservation and information are extremely important to the sportfishing industry. The ANXIOUS FISHING TEAM supports tag and release, depending on the condition of the fish.

blue marlin, striped marlin, spearfish, mahimahi caught off the Kona coast of Hawaii
     Rob Shanahan, in charge of setting up the family reunion activities, scheduled the "Anxious" for a day of big game fishing off the Kona coast. Captain Tony Clark had decided to work the "grounds" and farther north based on activities from the day before. Mid to late morning, with no activity and trade winds starting to chop up the seas, Capt. Tony began working back toward the south off the "Pine Trees".
     With still no activity, Capt. Tony was looking for something that might change their luck. He found an old "Pakula" lure at the bottom of the tackle drawer. With new hooks and leader the old lure was set. Five minutes later, in a swirl of white water, the "Pakula" disappeared and the 130 Shimano started screaming.
     Keven Shanahan found himself in the fighting chair doing battle with a huge blue marlin, and for the next hour found out just how powerful big blue marlin can be. This big blue put on a spectacular show, jumping, greyhounding and sounding, before Keven was able to bring it to the boat.
      The family reunion now has one more story to talk about, as this big blue weighed in at 731 pounds.
       Congratulations to the Shanahans, Captain Tony and the "Anxious" crew, Tony Belloumini and Ian Medeiros!


    Visitors from El Paso, Texas, Paul and Kathleen Coleman and Bill and Lara Randag cspearfish, mahimahi caught off the Kona coast of Hawaiihartered the Anxious for a day's fishing. The ladies wanted to see whales, the guys wanted to catch the "big blue marlin" that Kona is famous for. As luck would have it, the ladies would catch the first fish. Lara fought a feisty 25 pound bull mahimahi in the first 20 minutes of fishing.

    A few minutes later, the guys spotted the whales, just the opposite of what was planned. Typical. Then, just as we were beginning to pull the lures in and call it a day, we had a ferocious strike on the center rigger and Paul was fighting his first billfish. Eight minutes later, a 33 pound spearfish was in the boat.

    As we were taking pictures of the nice catch, another boat was weighing in a 523 pound blue marlin. After seeing the marlin, the guys had to give it blue marling caught off the Kona coast of Hawaiianother try, so they booked the Anxious for the next day to try for the trophy fish and it was decided the girls would relax and go shopping.

    This turned out to be a great decision. Around 11:00 am the next day, the purple softhead lure on the long corner rod disappeared in a swirl of white water and the big blue marlin they were looking for began its aerial show right behind the boat. Bill jumped in the chair and the fight was on. Paul had his video camera running immediately and captured some great shots of the jumping marlin. An hour and 30 minutes later, several bottles of water, and a sore back, Bill had his marlin along side the Anxious and the big blue was his.

    The wives had got word that the big blue was on board, cut their shopping trip short and were on hand to watch the scales top out at 656 pounds. A great angling job and a great fish! Plans are being made for their return trip so Paul can do the catching and Bill do the videoing. Congratulations on three nice fish and two whale sightings. Not a bad weekend in Kona.

    From the "Black Marlin" Capital of the World in Australia, Fred Davis and David Harris decided to try their luck in the "Blue Marlin" Capital of the World here in Kona.

    We picked Fred and David up at the Kona Airport and 20 minutes later we were trolling off the Kona Coast. One hour later, the short outrigger line snapped free and a large blue marlin went jumping and greyhounding away from the "Anxious". David was first in the fighing chair, and 20 minutes later, with tired arms and sweat running down his face, David had the blue marlin along side the boat.

    Back in Honokohau Harbor, the big blue marlin tipped the scales at 442 pounds. Our congratulations to David and his first blue marlin!

   603 blue marlinKen and Joanie Weis came to Kona on vacation hoping to add a Blue Marlin to their fishing conquests. They are avid fresh water fishing addicts and have had great success catching trophy bass in Texas and large walleyes in Minnesota.
   Less than two hours after stepping aboard the ANXIOUS, the lure trolled closest to the boat disappeared in a large swirl of water and the 130 pound class reel started screaming as line was being pealed off at an alarming rate.
   Crewman Matt LoSasso quickly got Joanie buckled in to begin the fight. Within a few minutes it became obvious that this was a large fish. Joanie decided to turn the battle to her husband Ken.
   Ken took over and after fifteen minutes the fish still had not shown itself and was acting like a large yellowfin tuna. Suddenly the angle of the line started coming up and as we had hoped a large blue marlin came flying out of the water, jumping and greyhounding away from the boat.
   Ken did a great job fighting the big blue and in a short time he had the marlin along side the ANXIOUS. The marlin was hooked deep and would not have survived if released, so the fish was boated.
   The big blue tipped the scales at 603 pounds. Congratulations to Ken and Joanie on a great catch - maybe a bit larger than they had planned for their trophy room.

706 blue800 POUND SHARK BAIT

   Kevin Brown, freshwater fisherman from Minnesota, chartered the ANXIOUS with Capt. Tony Clark for his first big game fishing trip.

   After spending most of the morning trolling the 1,000 fathom ledge without any bites, Capt. Tony decided after lunch to work the 500 fathom area off of "Red Hill". Suddenly a large blue marlin ate one of the lures for its lunch.

   After approximately 45 minutes, the exhausted marlin died and began sinking. Two hours later, after working the fish back to the surface, the sharks ate about 100 pounds of the marlin before it could be brought back to the boat. The blue still weighed in at 706 pounds. An exciting experience and a great catch for a first-time angler.


|Home| |Tourneys| |Contact| |BLOG|

P.O. BOX 2765
TEL: 808.987.1127